Josh Graffiti

Friday, June 1, 2012

Phoenix Lake Reflection Questions

1. How did you come to consider the idea or concept of “Metamorphosis” through your work in this project?  How does your work physically address that insight?
- The idea of motion and "metamorphosis" showed in my sculpture because it helped me fashion the poise my sculpture took. It forced me to make the sculpture look as if it had a specific design and feel to it. The movement of the arms and torso was intended to show a deliberate movement. 


2. How did you push yourself to gain a better understanding of the physical properties of the plaster?  In what ways to you come to better control the various tools you employed?
- I was using the hammer and chisel to make my sculpture but I wasn't being as precise as I wanted so I switched to the grader to limit the chances of my piece breaking. I also used the sanding paper to smooth the plaster out and make it look more complete. Other people didn't switch to smaller tools and their pieces ended up breaking apart so I am glad I changed to a smaller tool even though it took a little long.


3. In what ways did your intentions change over the course of your project?  What opportunities or occurrences led to these changes?
- My original box for making the plaster didn't work too well and the plaster turned out wet and unusable.  lucky, there was a spare plaster box used for demonstration that I was able to use. However, the shape of the box was different than mine and was not ideal for the shape of my sketch. Instead of making the sculpture all on one piece of plaster, I broke up the plaster into 3 pieces and used them for the head, arms, and legs. This changed my intentions completely and caused my sculpture to turn out differently than I expected. 


4. Given what you know now about the material, how might you have changed your concept or approach to working?
- I would have used different tools in the making of my sculpture. I would have been more careful in areas that were fragile to preventing it breaking. I would have also not added so much water during the making of the plaster so I could have used my original shaped container.

No comments:

Post a Comment